Monday, October 13, 2003

SUNDAY WORSHIP - OR NOT
The good Lord enjoins us all to rest on Sunday - unless you're not a Christian, in which case your good Lord suggests another day. This, I believe, actually came about when the various good Lords worked out that if they all have their day of rest concomitantly, everyone would do bugger all and the world would go to hell in a hand basket. This would, of course, please all the bad Lords, but they didn't get a say. So, by agreeing to stagger the days of rest, the gods ensured that someone would be around to make coffee, pump gas, blow up a suicide bomb etc.

This preamble is merely to explain why there is no Sunday posting. My personal religion demands that I worship first at the church of Morpheus and not get out of bed until late, then I stop by the church of Bacchus for something to eat and drink, and finally I make an effort to worship at the church of Triumph by getting on my 2003 Triumph Bonneville America motorcycle to cruise the highways. Such is my spiritual Sunday.

You may have noticed that my typical Sunday varies from other people's, particularly in my neck of the woods where we have a population of 25,000 people and around 30 churches. By my reckoning, that's an average of less than 850 members per church. Doubtless some churches do better than others at attracting the faithful, so the numbers can vary about a mean.

What is even more interesting is that the overwhelming majority of these churches are of a Christian flavor, but each has it's own unique interpretation of the best way to serve the Lord. It's always puzzled me that if the Bible is supposed to be the Word of God, the messages contained therein are far from clear. The notion that "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light" turns out to be a little vague in that each church seems to have a different version of the way, the Truth, and the Light. More entertaining still is that all claim to have the "real" interpretation.

Now, logic tells me that they can't ALL be right. Some have to be wrong. But that doesn't seem to bother folks. I guess as long as they make their Sunday pilgrimage to the hall of worship of their choice and continue to believe they are on the right track, then all is well with the world.

And once everyone is happily wrapped in that early morning aura of brotherly love, I have the roads to myself. That has to be a good thing.

No comments: