Monday, October 06, 2003

SPAMLESS SPAM
There's only one thing more irritating than spam and that's spamless spam. By "spamless," I mean spam that doesn't actually DO anything that it is supposed to do. I received yet another invitation to enlarge my fishing rod, but there was no link to a web site, no return e-mail address, no phone number, and no contact information whatsoever.

Look, boys and girls, if you want to at least stand one chance in a million that a customer will actually respond to a mailing, it really does help if you include some method of doing so.

The same goes for "teenage oiled midgets donkey orgy" offers, "turn your $5 into $5,000,000 in one week" teasers, "grow more hair than a yeti" promises, and "help me transfer billions from Nigeria" solicitations. It's bad enough that I receive offers for breast enlargment when I am a male, proving that someone's target marketing strategy is way out of kilter.

So spammers take note - if you absolutely must waste bandwidth and pollute the internet with trash, at least make sure there's some purpose for doing it.

No comments: